Monday, February 28, 2011

Puerto Rico: A UFO Over Mayaguez?

Source: Primera Hora (newspaper)
Date: 26 February 2011


Puerto Rico: A UFO Over Mayaguez?

“I didn’t believe in flying saucers until I came to Puerto Rico and saw one.”

This was the statement made by Dionisio Grullón, a native of Santiago de los Caballeros in the Dominican Republic and a resident of Brooklyn, New York. Grullón visited Mayaguez to spend the Christmas holidays with his wife Gilda’s family.

He says that on 7 January 2011 he was looking out of the balcony of the family home in the Liceo Arriba district of Mayaguez due to the intense heat. It was then that he established visual contact with a UFO (flying saucer) that was in the sky for several hours.

“Seeing is believing. I’d never seen anything like it, and didn’t believe in it at all. I heard people talking about it, but I didn’t believe in the subject,” said the man, accompanied by his brother-in-law, Rafael Bonilla, who also claims having seen the unidentified flying object.

After seeing it with his own two eyes, what he understands was “a flying saucer” leaves no doubt in his mind about the phenomenon’s existence. “Now I believe.”

“It was a rather large light that appeared at 0400 hours and didn’t vanish until around seven thirty, some three and a half hours later, after daybreak,” Grullón added.

The man claims that when [the object] began moving upward in the sky, half an hour elapsed before it vanished completely.

“It looked like the lights placed at construction sites – very bright, illuminating the entire balcony, and it startled me. At first I was frightened, but I became more confident and even looked for a small camera and took a picture of it,” Grullón explained about the photos.

He says that it wasn’t until around 0700, when tired of looking up at the sky, the object began to vanish very slowly.

“As I began to take photos of it, it focused on me. Later it changed, and as I kept taking photos, it focused on me again. But it remained fixed. It neither rose nor descended, only when it finally vanished slowly,” he recalled.

At first, Grullón admitted that he lost his nerve and was scared, but later felt confident. “I was calm, since I could see it wasn’t doing me any harm. It only looked at me and I felt completely at ease.”

According to the experiencer, his life has changed completely, as he can now attest to the “existence of flying saucers”, something that never crossed his mind and even made him laugh when the subject was discussed. As soon as he returns to Brooklyn in coming days, he intends to share the experience with others who told him that “flying saucers” did exist and whom he contradicted. “I’m going to develop these photos to show people that they do exist, so they’ll see, because I had to come to Puerto Rico to find out that it wasn’t a joke. In 50 years I’d never imagined I’d see something like it.” Grullón was a baggage handler at La Guardia Airport.

His brother-in-law, Rafael Bonilla, was also an eyewitness to Dionisio’s sighting and compared [the object’s altitude] with that of the Aerostat deployed in Lajas during the 1990s to monitor Puerto Rican airspace. “It looked like the Aerostat in Lajas, as seen in Mayaguez, but I wasn’t frightened. I’ve heard that UFOs appear in this area, although I’d never seen one.”

(Translation (c) 2011, S. Corrales, IHU. Special thanks to Luiseppi Quiñones)